For some people, there’s so much to do in a day that it’s hard to keep up with everything. By the end of the day, you might not be sure what you even did over the past 12 hours. Or you might not be incredibly busy, but you just don’t remember to stop and think about specific aspects of your life.
If this is the case for you, you might benefit from an app like the ones in this article. There’s an app for nearly everything, and of course there are apps that can track most areas of your daily life.
Why track your day?
You might have realized you want to keep up with what you’re eating, or maybe it dawned on you that you’re not sure when you last spent time with your friends without looking at your phone. Maybe you’ve been forgetting to budget for travel expenses or grocery costs. Whatever it may be, there’s a way to track it.
Tracking certain parts of your day can make it much easier to evaluate what you’ve been doing. It can make it possible to understand certain issues in your life, and it can show you things you’ve been doing well (and things you didn’t know you needed to improve on). If you don’t know what to fix, then you won’t know how to fix it. By tracking how much you exercise, how much time you spend on your tablet, or how big your environmental footprint is, then you’ll have a starting point for change.
What can you track?
Here are just some ways you can track your personal life. There are apps listed for each area. Of course, these are just some of the apps you might want to try. The app store on your phone will likely have even more to choose from. So if one of these doesn’t appeal to you, take a look around to see if there are other options that fit you better.
Track your food
There are many different apps you can use to track your food throughout the day. Most of them will let you set goals (like how many calories you can have, how much sugar you can consume, etc.) You can often set a weight goal, as well, and get food intake suggestions. Here are a few apps to try:
- Your device’s built-in app: Depending on which phone you have, you might already have a food tracker on your device. For instance, there’s Samsung Health, which offers quite a few health tracking features.
- MyFitnessPal (Android & iOS): MyFitnessPal is an app from Under Armour. It lets you track your food intake, find out nutritional facts, add your own recipes, find food from restaurants, scan barcodes to look up products, and more.
- Lose It! (Android & iOS): Lose It! is specifically designed for weight loss, but you can of course just use it to track what you eat. You can use it to set and meet goals. It lets you input and track your eating every day, take part in challenges, plan meals, and more.
Track your exercise
If you’re not sure you’re exercising enough, you can always try keeping track of your fitness regimen. You can log how long you’re exercising, what kinds of exercises you’re doing, and more. Most apps will give you an idea of how many calories you may have burned during the day, as well. Here are a couple apps to check out:
- Your device’s built-in app: Like above, some phones have a built-in health app that offers useful features. Using Samsung Health as an example again, you can choose from different exercises (like push ups and jumping jacks), then log how long you did them.
- JEFIT (Android & iOS): With JEFIT, you can track your training and your progress, as well as set and meet goals. Along with all the instructional features and its social aspect, you can log your workouts in the app.
- HeavySet (iOS): With this app, you can track your weightlifting and other equally intense workouts. It’s specifically designed for logging exercise. It also tells you when you set personal bests and lets you look back on past time periods to see trends.
Track your gas costs
If you commute to work, like to go on road trips, or are just worried about the current cost of gas, then you can try tracking your transportation costs. Gas prices have been soaring, and it could be a good time to figure out just how much you’re spending. You may make decent money at your job, but if you commute to work, your gas costs might make a huge dent. Or you might have gone on a trip but then forgotten to calculate how much you spent fueling up. Here are a couple apps that can help you keep a log of how much you’re spending at the gas pumps.
- Fuelio (Android): With this app, you can track basically everything related to your auto costs. You can track how much you’ve spent filling up your tank, how many miles you’ve put on your car, how much you’ve spent servicing your car, and more.
- Fuel (iOS): Fuel, like Fuelio, lets you log how much you spend at the gas pumps. It also lets you input other car expenses, include more than one car, and look at clear charts showing your spending.
Track daily costs
If you find yourself running low on money before each paycheck, it might be useful to start figuring out where most of your money is going. Using an app, you can track how much you’re spending on your shopping trips, then look for any trends, places you can cut back, or things you can actually spend more on. These are just a couple of your options:
- Wally Lite (iOS): With this app, you can scan receipts, manually input spending, set a budget, and track where you’ve been spending your money.
- Mint: Mint is a popular multi-purpose finance service. It can help you track your bills, set a budget, and get a visual of your spending, along with many other features.
Track environmental impact
There are many things we do every day that can be wasteful or otherwise bad for the environment. With an app, we can remind ourselves to make environmentally-conscious decisions. We can also see a visual representation of the environmentally sound things we did that day, as well as learn about other little things we could be doing better. Here are a couple apps that can help:
- JouleBug (Android & iOS): With JouleBug, you’re inspired to take note of what you do every day to try to be a little more green. The app offers suggestions on how to be more environmentally friendly, then gives you points and achievements when you actually do Earth-friendly things. Your points are a great indication of how environmentally sound you’re being each week.
- Oroeco (Android & iOS): Oroeco is an app that encourages you to be environmentally friendly and then rewards you when you make an effort to do so. You can earn rewards when you do green things, and you’re given suggestions for ways to be kinder to the environment.
Track your mood
Keeping up with how you feel throughout a day can be difficult. You might not even know when you’re in a bad mood or if you’re experiencing mood swings. Keeping an eye on your mood can give you an indication of what the underlying causes might be (whether it’s something as basic as stress or something more serious). The following apps can help you track your mood throughout each day:
- Realife Change (iOS): This app is a motivational app that offers a “virtual coach.” You can track your moods and various different emotions and thoughts throughout your day, then receive advice based on what you logged. You can also track your moods using hashtags.
- iMoodJournal (Android & iOS): iMoodJournal lets you log your moods throughout the day (including hashtags), then look back at charts showing your trends. You can even include extras (like photos), and you can track other things, like energy level and stress.
Track screen time
If you’re like most people with access to tech, you probably spend a lot of your day looking at a screen. Phones, computers, tablets, TVs—there are screens everywhere. Some screen time is unavoidable, and realistically, it would be difficult to cut it out completely. But it is possible to learn how much time you’re really spending on it and then set goals to cut back. These are just two of the apps that you can try:
- Moment (iOS): Moment is an app for iOS users who want to know how much time they’re spending on their iOS devices. It tracks screen time automatically. You can then see how much you’ve used all your devices (and you can include your family’s devices, too) and set daily limits.
- AntiSocial (Android): This app runs in the background of your device and then provides reports on how much screen time you’ve used. You can use it to set limits and block access to certain apps, as well.
Ebay is making things a little easier for those on a budget by launching their ‘Under $10’ section.
You may recall the recent introduction of Amazon’s ‘$10 and Under’ section which I wrote about back in January. Amazon collects inexpensive items and groups them in different categories like Men’s, Electronics, and Household.
Now Ebay is doing something similar, giving shoppers a chance to find inexpensive deals in a number of different categories. Ebay’s ‘Under $10’ section collects a large number of items from different sellers, all of which ship free (just like Amazon’s budget section).
Ebay’s section has a much more detailed selection of categories to narrow down your browsing. On Amazon, there are 8 categories to choose from, and then you browse through a bunch of items within that category. On Ebay, however, there are 6 main categories to choose from, but within those 6 categories, there are over two dozen sub-categories, and in those sub-categories, there are sub-sub-categories.
For instance, if you look in the ‘Fashion Under $10’ category, you can narrow down to ‘Men’s Clothing & Shoes’ (or another sub-category), then narrow further with sub-sub-categories like ‘Jeans’ and ‘Sandals.’ This means you don’t have to scroll through a ton of items you have no interest in. It’s easier to focus in on what you really want to browse for. The six main categories on Ebay’s new section are ‘Fashion,’ ‘Electronics,’ ‘Home & Garden,’ ‘Sports,’ ‘Lifestyle & Entertainment,’ and ‘Motors.’
The ‘Fashion’ category includes things like off-the-shoulder blouses, workout pants, and reflective sunglasses. In ‘Electronics,’ you can find waterproof bluetooth speakers and PS4 games. ‘Home & Garden’ includes artificial succulents and vegetable slicers. In ‘Sports,’ there are yoga mats and canteens. ‘Lifestyle & Entertainment’ features things like vinyl records (from many different artists, including Buddy Holly and Incubus) and cat hammocks. And in ‘Motors,’ you can expect to see items like windshield cleaning tools and auto repair parts.
If you’re on a budget but still enjoy shopping, it’s a good time for you. With Ebay joining Amazon in offering a whole section devoted to items $10 or less, online shopping might be a little more convenient. Ebay’s section is great in that it has so many different categories to make finding what you need (or didn’t know you needed) a little easier.
Check out Ebay’s ‘Under $10’ section and see what you can find!
Amazon now offers a ‘$10 & Under with Free Shipping’ section for those looking for affordable products. The new section became available this past week and could be a great draw for people who like to shop but are on a tight budget.
The ‘$10 & Under’ section currently has 9 categories to choose from. You can choose All if you want to see everything added to the section. Or you can get more specific with the following categories: Women’s, Men’s, Electronics, Gifts, Home Décor, Household, Watches, and Hello 2018!
The section also mentions free shipping. Prime users already expect free shipping, but this section has a draw for everyone—you don’t have to have Prime to get the free shipping. This means you can shop in the ‘$10 & Under’ section without worrying about shipping costs even if you’re not paying for a Prime membership.
Right now the section is a little tricky to navigate, because you can only filter items by the categories mentioned above and you can’t search the section. However, if you have some time to scroll through, you’ll likely spot something that catches your interest.
There are a variety of items in the Women’s and Men’s sections. The Women’s category includes a lot of clothing and accessories. There’s jewelry, like earrings and bracelets, plus there are hair accessories and full clothing items like blouses and skirts alongside miscellaneous small items. In the Men’s category, you can find items like t-shirts, hats, sunglasses, and tie clips. There are also items like water bottles and headphones.
In Electronics and Gifts, there are quite a few items to choose from. The Electronics category has items like iPhone armbands and other iPhone accessories, smartphone cases, chargers and charger cords, and headphones. The Gifts category has a pretty scattered collection of items. There are things like sunglasses, balloons, throw pillows, greeting cards, baseballs, soap, and succulent plant pots.
Home Décor and Household both feature an array of items for the home. The Home Décor section is filled with plenty of throw pillows in all sorts of designs and colors. There are also items like coaster sets, decorative signs and knick knacks, tablecloths, string lights, and curtains. In the Household section, you can find plenty of cleaning supplies, as well as storage containers, lightbulbs, kitchen utensils, and shower caddies.
The Watches and Hello 2018! sections are interesting categories. The Watches section is centered on, of course, watches. There are analog and digital watches with various designs and styles. There are also watch accessories. In the Hello 2018! section, there’s a variety of colorful, glittering items. There are things like earrings, yoga mats, sparkly phone cases, confetti, workout clothing pieces, and to-do lists.
As previously mentioned, going through the available items involves quite a bit of scrolling and just looking for whatever catches your eye. Head over to the ‘$10 & Under’ section of Amazon to see if you spot something you like.
It’s safe to say that most people find managing their credit a little bit intimidating. From choosing a credit card to working through debt, there’s a lot to consider. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to keep up with your credit online. This article isn’t meant to be entirely comprehensive; if you have pretty serious issues with your credit, these tips may not do quite enough for you. But if you just want to get started keeping a closer watch on your credit, here are some useful tips for doing so on the web!
Keep an eye on your credit standing and options
It’s easy to keep up with your credit score and card options online. Perhaps the most popular option is signing up for CreditKarma for free (yes, it’s truly free). With CreditKarma, you can see your credit score from TransUnion and Equifax, plus you can get alerts when your credit changes. You can see what’s impacting your score and why. CreditKarma also gives customized suggestions for how to build your credit. For instance, they might show a list of credit cards that you could use to improve your score, including the likelihood of approval based on your current information. Whether you use CreditKarma or another service, it’s important to be aware of your situation, and that’s easy to do online.
Keep track of your spending and bills
In addition to keeping track of your score, it’s important to keep track of where your money is going. There are services online that can help with budgeting and bill payment. Mint is a great site for this. Mint can help with your credit building in several ways. Like CreditKarma, it can tell you your credit score. But that’s not really the primary use for Mint. You can also keep up with a budget; Mint will create some budgets for you, and you can adjust them. This could help you make sure you won’t end up having to overuse your credit cards in an emergency because you didn’t have a clear budget. Mint will also help you keep track of bills, like credit card payments. You can add all of your bills to your schedule and get alerts when it’s time to make payments. Being careful with your budget and payments is one simple way to improve your credit.
Figure out some debt strategies
If you’re already in some debt, it’s important to figure out how to manage it. You can calculate debt strategies online, though of course it’s important to look into your options carefully. One way to strategize is to use unbury.me. You can enter all of your loans into its calculator and compile them to get an idea of your future payments. You can look at a graph of your information, and you can change how much you pay on each loan to see how it impacts your interest and how long it will take to pay off. You might also use CNN Money’s Debt-Free Calculator to see how long it will take to pay off your debt.
Get credit counseling
You can also use the internet to get personal help with credit management. If your credit is in a bad place or you’re simply not sure how everything works, you can talk to someone. One option is the Take Charge America website. This is a nonprofit that offers counseling and education on taking care of debt. You might also look for counseling through credit.org’s Debt Counseling. Both are accredited with the Better Business Bureau and offer personalized counseling.