It’s important to keep up with your health and make sure you’re living well. Thankfully, there are plenty of apps and devices that can help you monitor your health, get help, and learn healthy habits.
You may already know about Fitbit, but there are plenty of other health devices available with great features. And though you really shouldn’t skip going to the doctor altogether, did you know you can get advice from a doctor right from your phone?
Always remember to make regular visits to your doctor. However, you have plenty you can do between visits. Here are some really useful apps and devices you can try to better keep up with your health!
Manage your doctor visits
- Doctor on Demand (Android & iOS)—This app lets you connect with real doctors using live video. You can get prescriptions and advice for things like colds and anxiety.
- HealthTap (Android & iOS)—Using HealthTap, you can get help from doctors in-app. You can search for answers in their database, or you can pay to talk with a doctor personally though either text or video, getting advice, prescriptions, and more.
- ZocDoc (Android & iOS)—With this app, you can search for and find your next doctor to go to. You can even set up an appointment and get reminders right in the app.
- Your smartphone’s health app—Depending on which smartphone you have, you likely have a health app pre-installed or ready to easily connect with your account once installed. For Apple devices, you can use the iOS Health app to track your activity, monitor your sleep, log your eating habits, and more. If you have a Samsung device, Samsung Health offers the same kinds of features. These apps can be incredibly useful and may make it unnecessary for you to download anything else. Take a look at your phone and see which health apps might already be available specifically for your device.
- Fooducate (Android & iOS)—Fooducate helps you keep track of your eating habits so you can learn to eat healthier. It not only helps you log and track your habits, it also provides information on healthy eating. This means you can not only keep track of what you eat, you can also learn along the way.
- Lose It! (Android & iOS)—Using Lose It! is another way to focus specifically on your weight. It’s a weight loss program, so it works to help you meet your weight goals. You input and track your eating every day, take part in challenges, plan meals, and more.
- MyFitnessPal (Android & iOS)—This app is offered by Under Armour. You can track what you eat, learn about your nutrition, add recipes, include meals from restaurants, and even add foods using a barcode scanner for more convenience.
- Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock (Android & iOS)—The Sleep Cycle alarm clock contributes to a healthier lifestyle by focusing on an important (but often overlooked) area of health: your sleep habits. It listens to the sounds of your sleeping, learns your habits, and figures out the best time to wake you up (during a window of time that you choose). This way you’ll wake up at the right time and feel as though you’ve gotten a better night of sleep.
Use a device
Wearables—There are many wearables available to purchase. Fitbit is extremely popular, but there are other options, as well.
- Fitbit does have many different options, so you can choose to buy a more pricey but full-featured watch, or you can spend less and get just the features you need. One of their lowest priced wristbands is around $60.
- Garmin also offers a line of activity trackers. They can track your activity and things like your heart rate, and some have GPS built in. They even have some wristbands designed specifically for kids. One of their least expensive devices is around $70.
- Moov Now also offers a wearable device to track activity. Their device is designed to be especially light and unobtrusive. It also includes an app with plenty of detailed information on your activity, as well as “real time coaching” so you can learn how to improve what you’re doing. This tracker is about $60.
- Samsung offers a way to track activity, as well, with their Gear Fit series. Their wristbands use GPS to follow your activity, and they can detect what kind of activity you’re doing. It also has things like a heart monitor and different displays, as well as plenty of options in the connected apps.
Smart speakers—Any smart speaker can be a useful tool when taking care of your health. Most smart assistants can answer many of the health questions you may have, and there are skills and services available to personalize things further. Google Home can easily give information on how many calories are in a certain food and what nutrition is offered. Using your Amazon Echo, you can enable skills like Virtual Nurse, Fitbit (to link with your device), and Nutritionix. Just ask your smart speaker and see what health information is available.
After this article was published we came across some really great information on how to make sure your sleep cycle is optimized, and how important your sleep cycle is to your overall health. Health Ambition, a site full of great resources and information on living a healthy lifestyle, recently published an article on resetting and optimizing your sleep schedule, and if you enjoyed this article and are serious about improving your health then check out this article.