Steam, online retailer of PC games, is having their annual massive Summer Sale, running from June 22-July 5, and steep discounts on a large catalog of popular games seem almost too good to be true. 30%, 50%, even 90% discounts have been taken on popular classic games, major franchises, and new releases. During the writing of this article, I had to stop and buy some games myself, one of which was Fallout 4 ($14.99), which I’ve coveted since it was released. Maybe the weather is too nice to stay inside and play games, and maybe I’m chronically too busy anyway, but at least I know it’s sitting there waiting for me if ever I do find myself at leisure. Just like about 25 books I haven’t read yet.
Here are just a few of the titles on sale:
Some games never lose their charm, even when newer and more sophisticated titles have been released. Maybe you are nostalgic for the games you used to play; or maybe, like me, you are interested in titles that have maintained their draw long enough that you need to see what all the talk is about. Here are a few classic titles you can find:
- RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic Collection – $11.24 (66 percent off)
- Star Wars: Dark Forces – $1.49 (75 percent off)
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 – $1.49 (75 percent off)
- Doom Classic Complete – $3.74 (75 percent off)
- Wolfenstein 3D – $1.24 (75 percent off)
- Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour – $9.99 (50 percent off)
- Fallout Classic Collection – $4.99 (75 percent off)
Some of the games coming out lately look incredible, with cutting-edge graphics and game-play, and dynamic story-telling. And no one thinks they are more incredible than the game studios producing them: some of these games normally retail for $50 and $60. If you are anything like me, that kind of price tag gives you chest pain. Move fast while these deals last!
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor– $3.99 (80 percent off)
- Dishonored 2 – $19.99 (50 percent off)
- The Witcher 3 – $24.99 (50 percent off)
- Dark Souls 3 – $23.99 (60 percent off)
- Fallout 4 – $14.99 (50 percent off)
- Stardew Valley – $8.99 (40 percent off)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon– $3.39 (66 percent off)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier– $6.79 (66 percent off)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands– $40.19 (33 percent off)
- All Final Fantasy games, 3-10, 10-2, and Type O are 50% off
Stickers and Trading Cards
Every day of the Summer Sale, new quests are available to you on the Steam site. Quests involve things like viewing all the games in your Steam Discovery Queue and reviewing your preferences. Completing quests unlocks stickers, which you can arrange in your virtual Sticker Book.
Trading cards are granted for playing games through Steam, and you can craft badges with the cards which are then displayed in your profile. The badges can be traded, sold, or bought, and grant certain community perks. This also increases your Steam level, and additional cards can level up your badge. Summer Sale trading cards are only available during the sale, however, so if you want one (or more), act fast! More details can be found on store.steampowered.com, once you sign into your account.
I know Christmas is a long way off, but with prices like these, it’s time to treat yoself.